A sense of freedom goes beyond your surroundings or the country in which you live. It strongly depends on your emotions, personal context and the people you live with.
How do you think famous people like Nelson Mandela or Jose Mujica could forgive after being imprisoned for so many years? It was because they believed that you will only be released if you listen to your heart, wherever you are. So listen to your heart, it will set you free.
Mandela often recited the famous poem ‘Invictus’, written by William Ernest Henley. In the last verses it says: “I am the master of my destiny. I am the captain of my soul.” This means that your true power and freedom can only be found within yourself.
I am the master of my destiny. I am the captain of my soul
William Ernest Henley
Listen to your heart
You often hear phrases like “this is a free country” or “we live in a dictatorship, we don’t really have freedom”. However, these are throwaway statements that don’t really convey the true meaning of what it is to be free or not.
For example, a person can feel completely free in a totalitarian regime. On the other hand, a person living in a democracy can feel the weight of slavery on his shoulders, dragging him down with every step he or she takes.
The chains of slavery can bind only the hands. The spirit makes us either free or enslaved
But in your heart, your mind and within you, no one can take away your true freedom. Who cares if you can’t express it? You will always know that you are a being with your own conscience. And that is something no one can ever take away from you!
What happens if you don’t listen to your heart?
When we say that your heart will set you free, it means that you can only find yourself by listening to your true feelings, your true nature and your most intimate way of being. In other words, to know exactly what you need and what you want.
However, if you don’t listen to your heart, you can feel addicted, which will obviously make you uncomfortable. For example:
- Are you in a relationship that you know is going nowhere? Yet you stick around because of a sense of misplaced loyalty. Or maybe you’re afraid of being alone and you stay with that person, even though deep down you know he or she isn’t the right person for you.
- What about your job? Do you think you have the right job? Do you feel that you are doing the work for which you are truly qualified? Are you able to fully develop your personal and professional potential? Or do you work in a company where you feel completely undervalued. But you don’t dare to leave because you have no choice and are afraid of not being able to find another job?
- What do you think of your friends? Do you think they appreciate you? Do you think they deserve your companionship and understanding? Maybe you’re too afraid to put them aside because you can’t stand loneliness. And would rather have someone with you, even if they don’t seem to appreciate you that much.
Listen to your heart
If you do recognize yourself in any of the above situations or are in a similar situation. Then here’s some advice to develop your full potential.
- Never forget that your heart will set you free. For this reason alone, you should always look into your heart, and have a long talk with yourself to find out what you really want. The first is to set your goals.
- Once you’ve set your goals and know exactly what you want, it’s time to start believing in yourself. But remember: there will be many pitfalls along the way. Indeed, people will try to scare you or your own fears will try to scare you. But one day you will be able to say it was hard, but you did it. Do not hesitate.
- Always work in the right direction. Know that you will encounter a complex and lonely path that few people dare to follow. Nevertheless, if you don’t stop and always move forward with your sights set on your true goals, nothing can stop you.
If you have no inner freedom, what kind of freedom do you expect?
Listen to your heart: it will set you free conclusion
Lastly, especially remember this mantra: “My heart will set me free”. Walk towards your true personal and professional development. Find out what your most intimate desires are and then go get them!